Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous clinical breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by fancy advertisements about a specific laser center. Pick the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover out who will really do your treatment, then ask about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Find another one if your doctor will not tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to prevent infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The best cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK if your my site level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people around the world.